- Flaming Glory Assembly Celebrates Pastor Michael Praise Chibuike Allison in Grand Style
- Nigeria Labour Congress Declares Strike 5th September
- Offer of Ministerial Position On Communication By Tinubu, Oseni Rufai Reacts
- THE WAY FORWARD FOR NIGERIA (2019 – 2023) -BY PROFESSOR IBITAMUNO MITCHELL AMINIGO, UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT
- Breaking: Women of Rivers State Protest to INEC Office, Dressed in Black Against Election Rigging
- BREAKING: President-elect Bola Tinubu Arrives Port Harcourt
The Supreme Court has on Thursday in a unanimous judgement affirm Siminalayi Fubara as the dully elected governor of Rivers State in the 2023 Governorship Election in the state.
The closest rival, Tonye Cole and the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC had gone to court to challenge the victory of Sim Fubara citing electoral irregularities and on the ground that Siminalayi Fubara did not resign as a civil servant before running for the office of the governor.
The matter was dismissed for inability to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt. Meanwhile, the APC had withdrawn from the case earlier. A situation Tonye Cole described as “being abandoned by the party on the road”
Reacting to his victory at the supreme court, Governor Siminalayi Fubara declared that one hurdle has been cleared from his way. He thanked everyone for the show of support and assured that he’ll not derail in the course of bringing dividends of democracy to the people of Rivers State.
According to the governor, “I thank President Bola Tinubu for his fatherly role. It will not be fair if I do not thank the FCT Minister, my oga. Thank you. Thank you Rivers people for standing by us. Let us join hands together to build Rivers State.”
On his own part, Tonye acknowledged not to have gone to the battle alone without supporters who stood by him. He said,
“My dear friends, I didn’t go this journey alone but did so with you by my side. Without your constant encouragement and hope, who know where we would have collapsed? Because of you we fought a good fight.
The result today may be disappointing but it is only temporary. We have so much to gain moving forward so weep for today only, tomorrow we stand again, hold up our heads and forge on. Aluta continua.”